The Sixth Day
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
  A Rally within a Bear Market
From the lows reached a few days before Thanksgiving, stock indexes have risen about 20%. Do not be fooled by this rally into thinking the Bear Market is over .

A true Bear Market is characterized by falling price earnings ratios. Serious bear markets usually end with P/E ratios in single digits, often in the six to eight range. According to the estimate of Standard & Poors Corporation, based on reported earnings as of December 23rd, the S&P 500 price stands at about 18 times 2008 earnings.

If the P/E ratio falls to nine times earnings, then the S&P 500 could to fall to about 450. In recessions during the last forty-five years, earnings have fallen by ten to twenty-five percent. If that is factored into the equation as well, you can imagine that we are still in for a lot of pain.

I say "we" and not just "investors" because the recession will produce more job layoffs, serious distress for state and local governments, and enormous federal deficits.

Investors would be wise to sell on rallies and keep cash in short-term U.S. Treasury securities. This is a good time to invest with the philosophy of Depression era comic Will Rogers' who said, “I’m more concerned about the return ‘of’ my money than the return ‘on’ my money.”

In my next post, I will spell-out why deflation is the problem we now face and why the government can do so little to stop it.

Never forget, times of financial stress are also times of financial opportunity.

Labels: , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Commentary about all things human; life, the Christian religion, ethics, politics, economics, sociology, art, anything to do with twenty-first century American culture. Perhaps I will inform, perhaps I will anger and frustrate, but I hope always to make you think!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

I grew up in Kansas in the 1950's - 60's. I attended Kansas State (B.S. in Soc. Science) and Washburn Law School (J.D.). My wife and I have been married for over thirty years and are the parents of three grown sons.

Archives
January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / July 2008 / September 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / August 2010 / February 2011 / April 2011 / May 2011 / June 2011 / June 2013 / November 2017 / November 2020 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]